Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Promise is a Promise

AND I am back! Just FYI, I'm going a little God on ya. Not too much, but something that I was thinking about today. Hang in there, it won't hurt ya, promise!

I was thinking today about God. No, not the religion of God, or the Church of God, or anything like that. Just God in general. You know, the head honcho and all that.

Something our pastor said last week made me think about how people who are in more "mainstream" or "cultural" Christianity, will always talk about not knowing theology.

Well, wait. Let me back up.

Our pastor said

"Everyone is a theologist. Even an atheist is a theologist. They have a belief that there is no god. The question really is, are you a good theologist or a bad theologist"

Which made me think of the part in the Wizard of Oz, when Glinda asks Dorothy
"Are you a Good Witch or a Bad Witch"
And Dorothy answers
"Neither. I'm not a witch at all"

I know, it's random, but think about it.

He said a lot of more mainstream christian speakers when backed into a corner on their Theology will say "Well, I'm not a theologist"
So I did some research, and I found that to be very accurate. They seem to say whatever people want to hear, but when asked to back it up biblically will say they aren't a theologist.

So, I pondered it and it makes me realize that these people are Dorothy.

Now I am not bashing anyone in particular, nor am I saying that this is 100% accurate, but to ME, and what I've read, it really rings true.

So many people who are "religious" per se, are Dorothy.

They don't identify themselves with being theologists, they identify themselves as religious, and therefore, are not theologists.

Which goes completely against not only God and his word, but against the very deifinition of the word.

From the Miriam Webster dictionary:

Definition of THEOLOGY
1
: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially : the study of God and of God's relation to the world.

Isn't this what religion is? Isn't studying God what we should be doing? I mean, and I will readily admit this, I need to read more religious works, not just the bible, but related works. I think that it is important to gain this insight to understand what and who God really is. Not just to go to church every week and to occupy a space, but to find out what is going on and why it is going on, and how I can be a part of the solution, and not a part of the problem.

See where I am going with this?

I don't want to be Dorothy. (now don't get me wrong, for years and years, I have dreamed of singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow to sold out crowds) Dorothy sits on the fence, trying to not identify herself either way. I want to be the "Good Witch" in the Equation (Although, if you ask my High school principal, I was a "Bad Witch" in the real sense of a witch, but I digress) I want to be part of the group is working on figuring things out, trying to do some good, and make a difference, with the guidance of God, by knowing more about him, and what is important to him, rather than either standing still, or moving backwards.


So here's to being a good witch.

No comments: