Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reading

This weeks challenge is reading. What are we reading, who is the author, etc.

Before I had "the three" I used to read several books a week. As a former HS English teacher, I think it's part of my make up! I like to read anything that catches my eye, and in any genre!

Now that my three are here, and they keep me BUSY, I sometimes don't get much read. I try, but it doesn't always happen. I am currently waiting for my mom to finish the 7th Murder club series by James Patterson.

One set of books that I received as a Christmas present from Gerrod was the Golden Compass trilogy. I love fantasy and adventure, you should have seen me reading Harry Potter, so I thought I would try these.

I'm not sure I liked them. It has nothing to do with the whole "religious" controversy, it had to do more with the story telling. I always felt while I was reading that I was walking in on the middle of something, and I had to play catch up to figure out what was going on. Every once in a while in a book is ok, but every time something happened, every important part felt that way.
So while I liked the content, liked the general story, I think the writing of those books made it so hard for me to finish them, rather than reading one a day.

And I am pretty bad too about not stoping and quiting reading something just because I don't like it. I hated Lemony Snickett, but I was given the first three books for Christmas from Gerrod again, and I felt like I should read them. I did, but I was completely put off by them!! I try to finish every book I start. So when I struggled with those books, I felt like I had to finish.

So while I love to read, and read anything and everything, it doesn't always mean I fly through a book, or that I really like it just because I finished it at all.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

I'm sorry you didn't like The Golden Compass Trilogy... I really enjoyed it. And Lemony Snickett cracks me up!

We do agree on Harry Potter, though... I love, love, love HP! :)

Katie said...

I haven't read any of these. I'm so such a boring reader.

Janelle said...

Hey, Mandi... TAG, you're it! (Check out my blog for details.)